Chapter 1 and Chapter 2 Review Questions
1. A friend of yours has asked which version of Windows 7 should be purchased to start a new multimedia-based home entertainment system. Your friend will not require business support features, but they will require support communicating with their Xbox 360. You recommend:
a.Windows 7 Ulitmate
b.Windows 7 Home Basic
c.Windows 7 Home Premium
d.Windows 7 Enterprise
2. Windows 7 supports only cooperative multitasking. True or False?
3. The Graphical Processing Unit is a hardware component capable of quickly drawing items to the screen.
4. A graphics card capable of running the Aero Theme must have drivers certified to which standard (select two)?
5. All device drivers are considered safe to install if they are ___ by Microsoft?
b. certified WDDM
c. Digitally signed
d. reviewed by WHQL
6. You are considering purchasing a USB microphone. You are not sure it is compatible with Windows 7. What type of logo should you look for on the product packaging?
b. Compatible with Windows 7
c. WDDM driver
d. Vendor certified
7. Your workstation is running Windows 7 Professional and you decide to share a folder on your computer. Twenty two people in your office are trying to connect to that folder at the same time over the network. The first 20 people can connect, the other two can not. To fix this you could____
a. Buy a computer, software, and licenses to run Windows 2003 Server
b. restart your computer
c. make sure the network card is using WDF device drivers
d. none of the above
8. Computers that belong to the same domain can access a common security database of user and computer account information. That type of database on Windows 2003 domain controller servers is also known as a _____ database?
d. Active Directory
9. Which of the following is an advantage of domain networking?
a. no central security database
b. built-in to every version of Windows 7
c. Centralized security management
d. support for up to 10 simultaneous shared connections
10. A new company will have 30 workstations in one building sharing a single network. All users must be able to share files and printers with each other. Access to shared information must be secure and simple to administer. The best technology for this system is:
b. Windows Peer-to-Peer networking
c. People to People
d. Domain Networking
11. Your computer is capable of starting more than one operating system. Windows 7 Ultimate and Windows 2003 are both installed, but to different hard disks in the computer. A third hard disk will be used to hold data that is used by both operating systems. To make this disk accessible in both operating systems you decide to format it as:
12. Your computer is capable of starting more than one operating system. Windows Vista Ultimate and Windows 95 SR1 are both installed, but to different hard disks in the computer. A third hard disk will be used to hold data that is used by both operating systems. To make this disk accessible in both operating systems you decide to format it as:
13. The main network protocol used to communicate between Windows 7 computers is:
14. Windows Vista’s version of TCP/IP supports the newer standard called?
15. A feature of Windows 7 designed to provide easy access to helpful mini-applications and utilities is?
a. Start button
16. Which networking component included with Windows 7 supports sending IPv6 traffic over IPv4 networks?
b. Windows Plug and Play Networking
e. .NET Framework 3.5
17. A driver that has full access to all hardware and the memory of the computer has what type of security level?
a. digitally signed
b. Kernel mode
c. user mode
d. WHQL tested
18. A hardware vendor’s product has passed Microsoft testing and has received a certified logo. Updated drivers for the hardware can be obtained from the manufacturer and from which Microsoft web site?
a. Windows Marketplace
b. Windows Driver Distribution
c. Microsoft support
d. Windows Update
19. Some hardware can be added to the computer without having to restart or power down the computer. After a short period of time the device driver automatically loads and the hardware is available to applications and the user. This type of hardware is considered compatible with what type of technology?
c.Plug and Play
20. You have purchased a new 72 GB disk drive and would like to format it in Vista with a single partition that uses up all the space on the drive. You can format the file system on the partition as (choose all that apply):
21. Software assurance customers can take advantage of extra applications provided with Windows 7 Enterprise edition. What feature included with this edition will allow legacy applications to run at the same time as other Windows 7 applications?
a. BitLocker drive encryption
c. UNIX native application support
d. XP Mode
e. Terminal Services
22. Which of the following is an advantage of HomeGroup computing?
a. requires one or more expensive servers
b. supports 20 workstations
c. no security enforced
d. simple to set up initially
23. A thread represents the files, data, and instructions that make up a single running task or application. True or False?
24. After a computer crashes and restarts, what tool automatically runs and tries to determine a solution to the problem?
a. Startup Repair Tool
b. Network Awareness Service
c. Network Repair Tool
d. Windows Boot Repair Service
25. Which of the following is a disadvantage of workgroup computing?
a. requires one or more expensive servers
b. supports an unlimited number of workstations
c. No centralized security management
d. simple to set up initially
Chapter 2 Review Questions
- Which Windows 7 design improvement over Windows XP simplifies the development of service packs and therefore reduces the risk of implementing service packs?
- Which Windows 7 design improvement allows applications which require administrative privileges to run even when the user running the application does not have administrative privileges?
- Which task cannot be performed by using ImageX?
- What server-side component is used to manage the deployment of Windows 7 over a network?
- Which utility is used to create answer files for unattended installations?
- Which utility is used to prepare computers for imaging by removing specific information such as the computer name and computer SID?
- Which installation methods require booting into WindowsPE before Windows 7 starts? (Choose all that apply.)
Answer: a, b, d
- Which installation method can be used to distribute Windows 7 with applications already installed?
- The _____ installation method is best suited to small organizations that install Windows 7 only occasionally.
Answer: DVD boot
- A clean installation of an operating system is typically considered to be more stable than an upgrade installation. True or False?
- Which methods can you use to migrate user settings from a previous operating system to Windows 7? (Choose all that apply.)
Answer: b, c, d
- Which folder is used to store user profiles in Windows 7?
- Which methods can you use to place applications from a previous operating system on Windows 7? (Choose all that apply.)
Answer: b, e
- When installing Windows Vista as a dual boot installation with another operating system, it is recommended to keep Windows Vista on the same partition as the other operating system. True or False?
- In which situation is dual booting required because virtualization is not able to perform the task?
- Which of the following are benefits of virtualization over dual booting? (Choose all that apply.)
Answer: a, c, e
- Which operating systems can Windows Easy Transfer migrate user settings and files from? (Choose all that apply.)
Answer: d, e
- Windows Easy Transfer can migrate the user settings and file for multiple users in a single pass. True or False?
- Which utility can be used update drivers in an existing Windows 7 image?
- Which configuration passes automatically search for an autounattend.xml file, if an answer file is not specified? (Choose all that apply.)
Answer: a, b
- Which configuration pass can be used to perform disk partitioning operations?
- Which configuration pass is performed by Sysprep?
- A WIM image file containing two Windows images will be approximately twice as big as a WIM image file containing one Windows image. True or False?
- Which options must be used with ImageX to save changes to an image? (Choose two.)
Answer: c, d
- Which of the following are benefits of ImageX? (Choose all that apply.)
Answer: a, b, e